Fair Employment Week is CAUT’s annual campaign to raise awareness about precarious employment on campuses and support local organizing to improve the working conditions of contract academic staff. This year’s events will provide an opportunity for contract academic staff from across the country to come together virtually to network with one
another and discuss the issues they are facing. Online events are detailed below.
- Monday, October 19 from 1 to 2:30pm EST // Organizing to Win for Contract Academic Staff: A CAUT Members’ Panel
- Hear case studies from across the country on how academic staff associations have organized around and won victories for contract academic staff. This event will take place in English with simultaneous interpretation into French.
- Registration: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEpdO6tqz8tHN3rSuOyraZeQBr1nMrKGO3g
- Tuesday, October 20 from 1 to 2pm EST // Intellectual Property in a Time of Remote Learning for Contract Academic Staff: A Webinar with Dr. Sam Trosow
- Join Dr. Sam Trosow, a professor at the University of Western Ontario, who will discuss the issues of ownership and control of course content for contract academic staff in a time of remote learning. This event will take place in English with simultaneous interpretation into French.
- Registration: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUpcu6sqzojHtPSaMu2eLCtGRKejzphd3KN
- Wednesday, October 21 from 1 to 2pm EST // A Keynote Address by Dr. Liz Morrish
- Liz Morrish, an independent scholar and activist for resistance to managerial appropriation of the university and co-author of the book Academic Irregularities, will present a talk titled, “A plague on universities: How the pandemic has created breach points for the future of labour, pedagogy and values in higher education.” This event will take place in English with simultaneous interpretation into French.
- Registration: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_cXISYq2ZSCcXZj5bJY1VA
- Thursday, October 22 // A Social Media Day of Action
- Stay tuned for CAUT’s Social Media Day of Action.
- Friday, October 23 from 1 to 2pm EST // A Zoom social for contract academic staff
- Join contract academic staff from coast to coast in an informal Zoom social. Folks will be put into breakout rooms to get to know one another, talk about the unique issues contract academic staff are experiencing, discuss strategies to improve working conditions, and join together in celebration of the work and contributions contract academic staff make to our universities and colleges.
- Registration: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJMrc-murDsrH9JktPouT70bJ5v_ATrdK5-